The chocolate cake is Moist, the topping is just nice, not too sweet. Very nicely presented!!!
Story behind the process:
I started to steam the cake at 8.30pm. According to the recipe, it should be done by 9.15pm.
But the batter was not set yet, still very sticky. I continued to add hot water, and steamed. Until 10pm, it has been 1 1/2 hour, still sticky. I wonder whether it is the problem that i never cover the steamer with lid.
To get it cooked faster, i changed my mind and put it into the oven. After baking for 40mins, the chocolatey smell was coming out from the kitchen, and it was DONE!!!
I was happy enough with the result, at least i didn't make a failed cake after working for the whole night. I prepared the chocolate fudge topping (i halve the recipes, make it less sweet for kids).
After taking the photo for the beautiful cake, it's already 11.20pm. Luckily i don't need to do the washing, just leave to KAKAK for the next morning. Or else, i can only go to bed after mid-night. ;p
This cake is worth trying.
Recipe from Cooking Crave
180 g butter
150 g castor sugar
200 g full cream evaporated milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten with fork
100 g plain flour
50 g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Combine castor sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla essense and butter in a saucepan.Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, turn off the fire and keep warm.
2. Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cold evaporated milk mixture and stir till well mix.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, then pour the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till well mix (cake batter should be runny) Heat up the steamer.
4. Lined and greased a 8 or 9 inch round baking pan.Pour the batter into the lined pan and place the pan into the steamer and cover the top of the pan loosely with a piece of aluminium foil.Steam over medium heat for 45 mins.
5. Cool the cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.
Chocolate Fudge Topping:
200 g condense milk
1 tsp vanilla essense
2 tbsp corn oil
20 g cocoa powder, sifted
a pinch of salt
1. Combine the sifted cocoa powder, condense milk and oil.
2. Stir over low heat till thicken.
3. Add in salt and vanilla extract or essense.
4. Cool the chocolate topping a little before spreading on the cake.